Espacialidades. Revista de temas contemporáneos sobre lugares, política y cultura is an electronic academic journal published every six months by the Social Sciences Department of the Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana- Cuajimalpa. The journal’s aim is to analyze the spatial dimension of several social practices, ways of organization and political action from a multidisciplinary perspective. The journal highlights the different territorial scales and their interactions (global, regional, local). The goal is to portray the diversity and complexity of social and cultural processes. It publishes new and original articles of theoretical, empirical, and applied theory on the following topics and problems: theories and methods to analyze socio-spatial phenomena, spatial justice, and democracy, regionalism and globalization, urban studies, multiculturalism and social identities, gender and space, the geography of political representation and elections, socio-territorial conflicts, government, and population mobility.
Although the reception of works is permanent, Espacialidades encourages the academic community to send articles and book reviews for upcoming issues. We receive contributions before the last week of March, and the last week of September every year. The actual situation of the University could not allow to publish this call for papers on time, in this occasion we open it from February 11, to April 11 2019. Please send your contributions to the following electronic address:
You can submit in English or Spanish: Articles. Unpublished works of theoretical, empirical or applied theory on one of the proposed fields of analysis (or one that the committee considers pertinent), that contribute to the diffusion of topics related to the dialogue between the spatial and the social. The research articles must have an extension of 15 to 35 pages. You can also submit Book Reviews. Analysis and commentaries of significant bibliographical novelties, national or foreign, with an extension of 3 to 10 pages. If there is more than one book review within the same entry, a maximum of 15 pages is allowed.
- Sending. authors must send their articles to the following electronic address:
Send before: April 11, 2019
- Work originality policy. A letter must be sent, stating that the paper is original and has not been published, or is not under revision in another journal or editorial. Our first revision is with an anti-plagiarism system, to evaluate the work’s originality and the correct citation of other publications.
Peer review. The articles will be evaluated by the Editorial Board. If necessary, the Committee will ask for some corrections. Once accepted for peer review, two specialists in the appropriate field of expertise will read the paper. The revision will be a double blind peer review process, and the specialists will determine if the article is a) approved as it is; b) in need of changes; c) rejected; d) in need of changes and a third revision. If one review is positive, and the other is negative, a third revision will be required. The author will have the final result in a letter send by email. The result of the evaluation is unappealable.If the text is approved, we will get in touch with the author to polish edition details for the final version.
- The submitted document must be in Word format, Arial font, 12 points; paper in letter size (21.5 x 28 cm), with superior and inferior margins of 2.5 cm, and left and right margins of 3 cm, with a line spacing of 1.5. The articles must be 15 pages long as a minimum and 35 pages long as a maximum (including notes, charts, pictures, maps, quotes, and cited work). The charts, maps, and images must be send in a separate file, and inside the document the author should show the order, title, and data source of each figure. The reviews must not exceed 10 pages, unless they are of more than one book, in which case, a maximum length of 15 pages is allowed. We recommend that the article title does not exceed 80 characters, spaces included.
Please visit the complete guidelines here to have more information about the citation style:
- The contributions, excluding the reviews, must include: a) An abstract no longer than 500 words that must include: 1. An introduction where the topic is problematized. 2. The objectives of the article; 3. The hypothesis or argument; 4. The methodology and applied methods; 5. Main contributions of the article; and 6. The results and conclusions of the article. b) A list of five key words related to the content of the text.
- The reviews must be of recent academic books (published no earlier than the last year) or of new editions of classics that cast new light on recent problems related to the category of space.